Coordinator-General for Drought and Flood, the Hon Shane L Stone AC QC chaired the first meeting of his expanded Advisory Board in Orange on 28 January 2020.
The Board also had the opportunity to speak with Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Minister for Drought David Littleproud, and Minister for Education Dan Tehan.
The former NQLIRA Advisory Board has been renamed the National Drought and North Queensland Floods Response and Recovery Agency Advisory Board and the membership expanded to include the original members and five others.
The expanded board will assist Mr Stone and the National Drought and Flood Agency to provide national leadership and a whole-of-government response to support farmers and regional communities as they respond to and recover from drought and the 2019 North Queensland flood event.
The expertise of the ten board members, which covers drought, the livestock and agriculture industries, rural and regional Australia and government and non-government organisations, puts them in the best position to advise Mr Stone and the Agency on the longer-term recovery, strengthened resilience and future prosperity of drought and flood affected rural and regional areas.
The National Drought and Flood Agency is responsible for driving the implementation of the Australian Government’s Drought Response, Resilience and Preparedness Plan, and for delivering a longer-term plan for the recovery and reconstruction of flood-affected North Queensland communities.
New Advisory Board members are:
- The Hon Simon Crean – Board member of the Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal, former member for Hotham
- The Hon Bill Heffernan – Farmer at Junee NSW, former Senator for NSW
- Fiona Simson – President of the National Farmers’ Federation, farmer at Liverpool Plains NSW
- Dr Wendy Craik – Chair of the Climate Change Authority, Future Drought Fund committee member
- The Hon Fiona Nash – Strategic Adviser for Regional Engagement at Charles Sturt University, former Senator for NSW
Previous board members of NQLIRA, who continue with the expanded Advisory Board are:
- The Hon Shane L Stone AC QC (Chair) – Coordinator General of the National Drought and North Queensland Flood Response and Recovery Agency
- Tracey Hayes – Chair of the Darwin Waterfront Board, former CEO of the Northern Territory Cattlemen’s Association
- Don Heatley OAM – Grazier, former Chairman of Meat and Livestock Australia
- David Galvin – Non-member Director of Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance NT, former Chairman of the Australian Livestock Export Corporation
- Greg Campbell – Mayor of Cloncurry Shire